Granting Access for Repairs & Improvements The Real Property Actions & Proceedings Law

 Like all property owners in New York City, cooperative and condominium boards  and their managing agents are sometimes presented with a problem which, while  not unique, is perhaps more pressing here than elsewhere: with land so  developed, it is sometimes impossible to build, repair or improve your own  property without accessing your neighbor’s. If your neighbor is unwilling to grant you access, what is your remedy?  

 The answer is Real Property Actions and Proceedings Law Section 881. This statute allows property owners to go to court and obtain a license to  enter the adjoining owner’s premises in order to make desired improvements or repairs to their own  property. The statute has been interpreted broadly to encompass work ranging from making  purely cosmetic changes to erecting an entire building.  

 The significance of the problem is more than theoretical because it affects a  co-op’s or condo’s finances as well as its ability to meet mandated repair obligations. The most tangible example of its importance is a situation where the building’s engineer reports under New York City’s Local Law 11 that repairs are required to be made to a building’s façade or structure. It is not difficult to imagine a structural configuration in New York City  where obtaining access to portions of one’s own building (such as a façade) is not possible without stepping onto or otherwise using an adjacent  property or building. Alternatively, in order to obtain a permit from the Department of Buildings for  such work it may be necessary to erect a protective shed or bridge on the  adjacent property. When the neighbor refuses to grant access, or demands an unreasonable amount of  money or other unfair conditions, there is a statutory remedy.  

 Property owners cannot, of course, simply invoke this statute whenever  improvements to their land would be made simpler through access to their  neighbor’s property. Proceedings under Section 881 should be brought only when: (1) the improvement  or repair cannot be made without access to the neighboring property; and, (2)  the adjoining property owner has refused to allow access. Even under these circumstances a court needs to balance the interests of each  landowner. The license should be granted when necessary, and in cases where the hardship  that will result from the refusal of the license stands to outweigh the  inconvenience to the neighboring property owner.  

 A proceeding under Section 881 is intended to be heard efficiently and  expeditiously. All that is required is that the aggrieved cooperative or condominium  association files the necessary papers with the court which show the facts  making the entry necessary and provide the dates on which entry is sought. The adjoining property owner has the right to submit opposition papers. An appearance before a judge and, if necessary, a hearing where witnesses  provide testimony should be scheduled by the court promptly.  


Related Articles

COVID-19 Employment Issues

A Q&A for Co-op & Condo Boards

Q&A: Allergic Reaction to Roach Extermination

Q&A: Allergic Reaction to Roach Extermination

More on Your Building Staff and COVID-19

A Legal Q&A

Hiring a New Super

Finding the Best Fit for Your Community

Staff Safety 101

Protecting Employees in Your Building

Managing Deliveries

Solving 'The Package Problem'



  • I need to rebuild a retaining wall. My neighbor refuse assess to her side of the property. My side is 4 ft higher and will take 18" of her driveway which is on my property when I rebuild. What can I do?
  • Does 881 or other statute apply to the right of a condo UNIT owner to access another apartment in the building in order to correct a problem with heat or hot water in the unit owner's apartment?